Sponsored By

The 4 Cs to find the right co-founder for your startup

Finding a co-founder is like finding the right spouse — it relies on a certain amount of chemistry, demands compatibility, takes good communication and requires commitment. Entrepreneur K. V. Rao explains how he made it work in two startups. Read more »

Startups - Dumb but briliant

This guy wants to ship fall foliage straight to your door

by Sara Castellanos Screen shot 2015 10 06 at 10

BOSTON — Now here's a startup with no overhead costs.

Kyle Waring, the entrepreneur behind the website that advertise that it could ship Boston's snow anywhere in the U.S., has a new idea.

The business model:

  1. Collect fall foliage.
  2.  ...

    15 hours ago
Startups - Health care innovation

StartX company has eye on major hospital deals after big win

by Malia Spencer Dr. Ray Costantini

Healthcare startup Bright.md, a StartX company, could be getting ready to hit new heights.

The Portland company beat out 30 other firms for the "solution of choice" designation from AVIA, a Chicago healthcare consulting firm. The honor gives Bright.md a chance to sign on several major hospitals and health systems as customers.

Subscribe to Upstart Today for a daily jolt of startup news and  ...

16 hours ago
Lifestyle - You pay how much to live there?

Here's how much S.F. tech workers must pay to live near Square, Twitter, Airbnbf

by Annie Gaus San Francisco real estate

SAN FRANCISCO — We’ve all heard the old rule of thumb that you shouldn’t spend more than 30 percent of your income on rent. In San Francisco, that rule no longer seems to apply — even for highly paid, senior-level tech workers.

According to a study by the rental app RadPad, mid- to senior-level engineers at "unicorn" companies in San Francisco — including Square, Uber or Stripe — need  ...

17 hours ago
Startups - IN the media firehouse

Peeple’s pages are gone, but app is still on the way

by Melissa Wylie Peeple

It's only Tuesday, but it's already been a bad week for Julia Cordray.

The co-founder and CEO of Peeple, the human-rating app, spent the weekend defending her product, and now the Canada-based company’s social media pages have suddenly disappeared.

In an open letter to Twitter titled “Dear Twitter, Shame on You,” Cordray expressed her frustration toward Twitter for not doing anything to  ...

17 hours ago
News Wire - Office Space

Toyota CEO: How we designed HQ to foster innovation, appeal to Gen Y

by Bill Hethcock

DALLAS — At Toyota’s North American headquarters in Torrance, California, the automaker occupies a traditional office building, constructed in the early 1980s. About 80 percent of it is personal workspace — a mix of cubicles and offices. The other 20 percent is primarily conference rooms.

“That doesn’t cut it in today’s world,” Toyota’s North American CEO Jim Lentz told me in an  ...

18 hours ago
News Wire - Bubble watch

As buyer confidence wanes, tech hubs feared headed toward housing bubble

by Jeanine Stewart Seattle's housing market is hot

SEATTLE — Technology job growth is leading to a booming housing market in some U.S. metro areas, but the backlash against the rising cost of home ownership may finally be taking its toll.

In Seattle, the percentage of residents who think now is a good time to buy a house dropped to 51 percent midway through the year, down from 57 percent at the start, according to the Zillow (Nasdaq: Z, ZG)  ...

18 hours ago
Innovation - Higher Ed means business

Here's why it doesn't help society if universities give research away for free

by Carrie Ghose College research

COLUMBUS — Ohio State University officials are correct to say royalties and licensing revenue from research aren't the best indicators of economic impact from research, says the head of the national trade group for university commercialization.

“The money comes later, but it’s not the main reason we do this," Fred Reinhart, president of the Association of University Technology Managers.  ...

19 hours ago
See More News »

'Shark Tank's Robert Herjavec talks Season 7, small business


PopBookings finds ‘hole in the market for tech’



Harmonix CEO: Virtual reality can 'reinvent the way people interact with music'


6 reasons why Baby Boomers should consider a startup

The Business Journals

the business journals
More from Upstart

© 2015 American City Business Journals. All rights reserved. Use of this Site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 12/23/13) and Privacy Policy (updated 12/23/13).

Your California Privacy Rights.

The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of American City Business Journals.

Ad Choices.